Tuesday, October 30, 2012

1988 Storm Shadow



GI Joe Hasbro 1987 Storm Shadow Cobar
For me, this Storm Shadow was not a figure I had in my childhood, nor was he one that I recognized as being from any of the animation that I had seen at the time. Yet I still really appreciate what this figure is. The move of having Stormy go from a villain to a hero was a interesting move that changed the dynamics of the character for a time. Since then, in the various media and the toylines that have come since the end of ARAH, Stormy has been retconed back into the role of a Snake Eyes rival.

The figure itself is actually one of the nicer figures from the late 80’s. His camo scheme helps to give him a spiced up appearance that makes him distinct from his first figure. Likewise, lot’s of sculpted details help to really give life what might otherwise be a somewhat generic looking ninja.


 In the pictures I’ve taken of him, I haven’t used his original accessories with the exception of his backpack. This is because a) I don’t have them, and b) I just didn’t like them enough to track down a complete figure. The sword and backpack were cast in bright red, which somewhat detracts from the whole ninja aspect. His bow and claw are cast in black, but are actually pieces that I have in some color or another from various releases over the years. I prefer to give him the Uzi from Snake-Eyes, since I feel that some modern equipment would probably be fitting for Stormy in his capacity as a GI Joe team member.

1 comment:

  1. I like this figure a lot. It's not perfect, but well-designed. Back in '88, he was an upgrade for my broken thumbs v1 Storm Shadow. Plus, the lack of a Cobra sigil allows him to play double-agent.

    ReplyDelete